Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Technology Review

My technology trial came to an end last Friday. I had a great time trying out a Samsung Tablet that Verizon provided me for the trial. Never having used a tablet before it took a little while to figure out how to get around it, but by the end I was pretty good. Even mastering a split keyboard! The cool things about the tablet was the light weight and the ability to get on the web anywhere with Verizon's Network. I could do work watching my son's baseball games, in the car, on the couch, anywhere. Very nice.

I tried out quite a few apps, most dealing with the wine industry in some shape or form. Here are just a couple of them:

Winerypedia is a great app for those that do some traveling and like to visit wineries (and who doesn't). It found your location and gave you a list of wineries emanating out from your location with the mileage to them. You could click on the winery and get info like hours, directions, and reviews. 

I tried out a few wine paring apps like parit and hellovino. These were interesting as they allowed you to select a a meal - entree, dessert, etc, and after a few more questions about that meal, suggest a wine type for your meal - like a cab with your steak. A great app for those wine novices out there, at the store, trying to find wine for dinner and want to impress their date!

Finally I used some apps to categorize wines in your cellar. Apps like Corkbin, Winenotes, Mycellar. In general the apps allowed you to make a library of your wines or of the wines you liked. You could add a wine with information like price, region, style, etc. Then you could rate the wine. A handy way to remember which wines you liked and which ones maybe you didn't.  So then when you go back to the store or the winery you can get exactly what you like!

All in all a great couple of weeks testing some new (at least to me) technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment